How are nursing professionals supporting the digital evolution in UK healthcare?
How can new technologies be leveraged by front-line clinical teams to support improved patient care? And how can Medtech, Digital and Biotech innovators collaborate with the front-line nursing teams in the NHS to drive transformation?
On Friday 23rd June Prof. Phil Richardson (Chair and Chief Innovation Officer, Mtech Access) spoke to Jennie Smith, registered nurse, Medtech launch specialist and our new Director of NHS Insight & Interaction at Mtech Access.
Throughout her NHS and commercial career, Jennie Smith has seen first-hand the transformative potential of technology in healthcare and the key role that nurses play in adoption and delivery. In this webinar, Jennie and Phil explore how these two elements, digital transformation, and nursing, go hand-in-hand when it comes to transforming patient pathways.
Beyond this, their wide-ranging discussion touched on system transformation, innovation, service re-design, pathway mapping and engaging with key stakeholders and potential product champions.
Phil and Jennie explored:
- The transformative power of technology in the NHS; particularly on patient pathways
- The role of nurses in digital transformation and the adoption and implementation of new technologies
- Key nursing champions, including Chief Nurse Information Officers (CNIOs)
- How industry can best support the NHS with digital transformation
- Our plans to bring together NHS and industry for greater collaboration
Listen to the podcast:
This episode is also available as a podcast. Listen below or search ‘Pharma Market Access Insights – from Mtech Access’ on Spotify, Apple Podcasts or Google Podcasts.
About our speaker
Jennie Smith (Director – NHS Insight & Interaction)
Jennie has immeasurable experience in partnership, transformation and, of course, the NHS, where she is still a practicing nurse. She joined Mtech Access directly from Health Hero, a remote healthcare company, where she has spent the last 5 years bringing new technologies to NHS primary care.
Prior to this, Jennie worked directly in the NHS in roles including Clinical Operations Manager, Transformation Project Lead and Directorate Manager of General Surgery & Urology for University Hospitals of North Midlands NHS Trust, and as Care Group Manager, Medicine and Long-Term Conditions at Walsall Hospitals NHS Trust. As a result, she has significant experience in both the commercial healthcare and NHS arenas.
This webinar forms part of our monthly NHS Whispers series, in which we have in-depth, comprehensive conversations with senior colleagues from the NHS. We explore what their immediate priorities are, what they see as the greatest challenges currently faced by the NHS, and how the NHS might respond to these challenges.
Our previous webinars are available on demand:
- April 2023: ‘Primary Care and ICBs – what is the next step in the integration journey?’ with guest speaker, Tim Goodson, Executive Officer, Dorset General Practice Alliance
- March 2023: ‘Data-led transformation in the NHS – partnering to optimise patient care’ with guest speaker Stephen Slough, Chief Digital Information Officer, NHS Dorset
- February 2023: ‘Innovating for better health – research, collaboration and innovation in the NHS’ with guest speaker Bill Gillespie, Chief Executive Officer, Wessex AHSN
- January 2023: ‘Healthcare, economics and society – unlocking NHS collaboration’ with guest speaker Michael Wood, Head of Health Economic Partnerships, NHS Confed
- December 2022: ‘Specialised Commissioning in the NHS – What do you need to know now?’ with a guest panel of experts
- November 2022: ‘Why are we waiting? – Pressures facing the NHS and how to deliver change?’ with speaker Prof Phil Richardson (new Chief Innovation Officer, Mtech Access and until recently, Executive Director at NHS Dorset ICS)
- August 2022: ‘Priority setting in primary care in the NHS – How is the NHS balancing competing challenges as we head through integration and towards winter’ with guest speaker Dr Alex Degan (Primary Care Medical Director, Devon Integrated Care System)
- July 2022: ‘Integrated Care Systems go live in the NHS – what have the first 3 weeks told us?’ with guest speakers Steve Reed (Head of Community Services, York Teaching Hospital NHS FT) and Dr Viren Mehta (Vice Chair, Viaduct Care and Clinical Director, Cheadle Primary Care Network)
- June 2022: ‘Clinical Pharmacists – exploring the scope, capabilities, and potential of this evolving NHS role’ with guest speaker Tom Kallis (Senior Clinical Pharmacist, East Cornwall PCN)