Is data the key to transforming healthcare systems and patient care?
What are the top priorities for digital transformation leaders in the NHS? How can Pharma and Medtech companies partner with the NHS to share data, transform services, and find smarter, faster way to improve patient care?
In our webinar on Wednesday 15th March, Prof. Phil Richardson (Chair and Chief Innovation Officer, Mtech Access) was joined by Stephen Slough (Chief Digital Information Officer, NHS Dorset). They explored how, through the catalyst of partnership, new technologies and data have the potential to transform healthcare.
We have reached a point where digital is so ubiquitous that, even in the NHS, what were previously seen as ‘digital’ transformation projects are now viewed as simply business transformation projects.
Add in advancements in artificial intelligence and ChatGPT-type services, along with the potential of big data, and it’s no surprise that digital is at the heart of transformation in the NHS.
In this webinar, Phil and Stephen explored:
- The digital landscape for NHS decision makers
- How, when and where data can transform healthcare systems and patient care
- How the NHS and industry can get access to and share our data to better plan products and services
- What the top priorities are for digital leaders
- How industry build strategic partnerships with Integrated Care Boards (ICBs) and other NHS leaders driving data-led transformation
About our speaker
Stephen Slough (Chief Digital Information Officer, NHS Dorset)
Stephen has held Chief Information Officer (CIO) roles for a variety of organisations in the Dorset Integrated Care System (ICS), including Dorset Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG), Dorset Healthcare and Dorset County Hospital. This has given him the opportunity to understand the differences and similarities in delivering services to staff and patients across Primary Care, Community, and Mental Health services into the Acute Care setting. He is now the Chief Digital Information Officer for the Dorset ICB with accountability for digital and technology across the NHS in Dorset.
Stephen is a strong advocate for the British Computer Society (BCS), having been a member for a number of years personally and now organisationally, as he aims to improve the visibility of the digital profession in the NHS and help develop career pathways and opportunities for personal development for his teams. He has been the CIO representative on the national BCS Health and Care Executive.
Prior to joining the NHS in 2016, Stephen spent over 22 years working for Siemens, starting as an apprentice and working his way through a variety of roles ranging from programming and application configuration to corporate strategy and governance, account management and service design/provision.
We were delighted to welcome Stephen to the NHS Whispers webinar series.
Listen to the podcast:
This episode is also available as a podcast. Listen below or search ‘Pharma Market Access Insights – from Mtech Access’ on Spotify, Apple Podcasts or Google Podcasts.
This webinar forms part of our monthly NHS Whispers series, in which we have in-depth, comprehensive conversations with senior colleagues from the NHS. We explore what their immediate priorities are, what they see as the greatest challenges currently faced by the NHS, and how the NHS might respond to these challenges.
Our previous webinars are available on demand:
- February 2023: ‘Innovating for better health – research, collaboration and innovation in the NHS’ with guest speaker Bill Gillespie, Chief Executive Officer, Wessex AHSN
- January 2023: ‘Healthcare, economics and society – unlocking NHS collaboration’ with guest speaker Michael Wood, Head of Health Economic Partnerships, NHS Confed
- December 2022: ‘Specialised Commissioning in the NHS – What do you need to know now?’ with a guest panel of experts
- November 2022: ‘Why are we waiting? – Pressures facing the NHS and how to deliver change?’ with speaker Prof Phil Richardson (new Chief Innovation Officer, Mtech Access and until recently, Executive Director at NHS Dorset ICS)
- August 2022: ‘Priority setting in primary care in the NHS – How is the NHS balancing competing challenges as we head through integration and towards winter’ with guest speaker Dr Alex Degan (Primary Care Medical Director, Devon Integrated Care System)
- July 2022: ‘Integrated Care Systems go live in the NHS – what have the first 3 weeks told us?’ with guest speakers Steve Reed (Head of Community Services, York Teaching Hospital NHS FT) and Dr Viren Mehta (Vice Chair, Viaduct Care and Clinical Director, Cheadle Primary Care Network)
- June 2022: ‘Clinical Pharmacists – exploring the scope, capabilities, and potential of this evolving NHS role’ with guest speaker Tom Kallis (Senior Clinical Pharmacist, East Cornwall PCN)
- May 2022: ‘Transforming systems and care pathways for an integrated NHS’ with guest speaker Debbie Morgan (Director of Service Transformation, Cambridge University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust)