Will NHS leaders, as part of an Integrated Care System (ICS), make conscious decisions to drive economic and social change?
What social and economic value do ICSs offer the wider population they serve? How will industry support ICSs to deliver population-based health and social benefits?
Prof Phil Richardson (Chair and Chief Innovation Officer, Mtech Access) was joined by Michael Wood (Head of Health Economic Partnerships, NHS Confed) for a far-reaching discussion around system integration, population health management, and the NHS’s social and economic potential, for our January webinar.
In December (2022), Michael Wood authored a report exploring one of the four key purposes of an ICS: to help the NHS support broader social and economic development. Michael’s NHS Confed report looked at the economics of healthcare and where broader strategic partnership working might lead system thinking in the NHS.
Phil Richardson was one of several experienced ICS, local authority, university and professional experts that Michael invited to share their perspectives in the report.
In January, we were delighted to bring Michael and Phil together in this webinar to discuss these topics, particularly in light of what these new leadership purposes mean for the NHS’s relationship with the Pharmaceutical and wider Life Science industries.
In the webinar, Phil and Michael discuss:
- NHS Confed and the links between the health sector and the economy
- The need for ICS leaders to focus on broader social and economic development
- How Pharma and Medical Device companies can add value to support this key ICS purpose
- Why health and economic development is key to tackling health inequalities
- The important role the NHS plays as an anchor institution that links better health with economic and social development
- What health and economic development could mean for funding at different levels of an integrated system – e.g. place based commissioning
- Opportunities for industry to step up and support the NHS with economic and social development
About our speaker
Michael Wood (Head of Health Economic Partnerships, NHS Confederation)
As head of health economic partnerships at the NHS Confederation, Michael advises NHS leaders nationally and locally on policy, strategy, partnerships, and funding relating to areas such as skills and workforce, estates, innovation, population health and finance.
Michael has been with the NHS Confederation for over 14 years, having previously held roles as NHS Local Growth Adviser and Senior European Policy Manager. He currently holds national advisory positions on the National Centre for Rural Health and Care, the Civic University Network and the NHS Population Health Advisory Group, as well as working part-time for NHS London.
Listen to the podcast:
This episode is also available as a podcast. Listen below or search ‘Pharma Market Access Insights – from Mtech Access’ on Spotify, Apple Podcasts or Google Podcasts.
Your questions answered:
In response to this webinar, we received some really insightful audience questions. We were unable to explore all of these during the live webinar, so Phil has penned answers to these, with input from Michael.
This webinar forms part of our monthly Whispers’ Words of Wisdom series, in which we have in-depth, comprehensive conversations with senior colleagues from the NHS. We explore what their immediate priorities are, what they see as the greatest challenges currently faced by the NHS, and how the NHS might respond to these challenges.
Our previous webinars are available on demand:
- December 2022: ‘Specialised Commissioning in the NHS – What do you need to know now?’ with a guest panel of experts
- November 2022: ‘Why are we waiting? – Pressures facing the NHS and how to deliver change?’ with speaker Prof Phil Richardson (new Chief Innovation Officer, Mtech Access and until recently, Executive Director at NHS Dorset ICS)
- August 2022: ‘Priority setting in primary care in the NHS – How is the NHS balancing competing challenges as we head through integration and towards winter’ with guest speaker Dr Alex Degan (Primary Care Medical Director, Devon Integrated Care System)
- July 2022: ‘Integrated Care Systems go live in the NHS – what have the first 3 weeks told us?’ with guest speakers Steve Reed (Head of Community Services, York Teaching Hospital NHS FT) and Dr Viren Mehta (Vice Chair, Viaduct Care and Clinical Director, Cheadle Primary Care Network)
- June 2022: ‘Clinical Pharmacists – exploring the scope, capabilities, and potential of this evolving NHS role’ with guest speaker Tom Kallis (Senior Clinical Pharmacist, East Cornwall PCN)
- May 2022: ‘Transforming systems and care pathways for an integrated NHS’ with guest speaker Debbie Morgan (Director of Service Transformation, Cambridge University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust)
- March 2022: ‘Population to Person: How will the NHS translate population health management into impactful person-centred service change?’ with guest speaker Dr Steven Laitner (GP, Public Health Physician, and Clinical Leader)