How is the NHS balancing competing challenges as we head through integration and towards winter? How are priorities set and what does system planning look like in primary care?
On Friday 19th August at 2.00 pm, Dr Alex Degan (Primary Care Medical Director, Devon Integrated Care System [ICS]) joined Tom Clarke (Director, Mtech Access) to explore all this and more.
In this #WhispersWordsofWisdom webinar, we explore how primary care leaders are reacting to the ongoing changes and challenges facing the NHS. Tom Clarke interviews primary care leader Alex Degan to explore:
- How priorities are set and what is driving change
- What system planning looks like in primary care
- The impact of integration – now in practice and for future planning
- How Pharma and Medtech can best support primary care
As a Senior GP partner at Mid Devon Medical Practice, Alex has extensive experience as a commissioner through his previous Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG) roles and now as Primary Care Medical Director for Devon ICS. Alex’s focus is on influencing and improving health care provision for all patients; in particular, he is interested in transformation, sustainable models of care and the wider determinants of health.
We were delighted to welcome Alex to the Whispers’ Words of Wisdom webinar series.
This webinar forms part of our monthly Whispers’ Words of Wisdom series, in which we have in-depth, comprehensive conversations with senior colleagues from the NHS. We explore what their immediate priorities are, what they see as the greatest challenges currently faced by the NHS, and how the NHS might respond to these challenges.
Our previous webinars are available on demand:
- July 2022: ‘Integrated Care Systems go live in the NHS – what have the first 3 weeks told us?’ with guest speakers Steve Reed (Head of Community Services, York Teaching Hospital NHS FT) and Dr Viren Mehta (Vice Chair, Viaduct Care and Clinical Director, Cheadle Primary Care Network).
- June 2022: ‘Clinical Pharmacists – exploring the scope, capabilities, and potential of this evolving NHS role’ with guest speaker Tom Kallis (Senior Clinical Pharmacist, East Cornwall PCN)
- May 2022: ‘Transforming systems and care pathways for an integrated NHS’ with guest speaker Debbie Morgan (Director of Service Transformation, Cambridge University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
- March 2022: ‘Population to Person: How will the NHS translate population health management into impactful person-centred service change?’ with guest speaker Dr Steven Laitner (GP, Public Health Physician, and Clinical Leader)
- January 2022: ‘Planning in a volatile environment: how will the NHS reconcile its competing priorities and operational planning to meet its challenges?’ with guest speaker Caroline Dawe (Deputy Director of Commissioning, Bristol, North Somerset and South Gloucestershire Clinical Commissioning Group)
- December 2021: Panel discussion: ‘The evolving NHS: How can Pharma and Medtech support the NHS in 2022?’ with experts on policy, hospitals, finance, primary care, systems, and medicines
- October 2021: ‘Optimising the NHS – How will medicines be valued in integrated systems?’ with guest speaker Ellen Rule (Programme Director, Gloucestershire ICS)
- September 2021:‘A new paradigm for the NHS: Partnering to deliver lasting and meaningful care improvements’ with guest speaker Dr Phil Webb (Chief Executive of Respiratory Innovation Wales)
Listen to the podcast:
This episode is also available as a podcast. Listen below or search ‘Pharma Market Access Insights – from Mtech Access’ on Spotify, Apple Podcasts or Google Podcasts.