How are healthcare systems looking differently at their population to deliver better care and what does this mean for future decision-making? How might the NHS re-imagine the hospital? What benefits can we expect from novel technologies, and can the NHS develop system resilience to improve healthcare outcomes?
Dr Phil Webb (Chief Executive of Respiratory Innovation Wales) joined Tom Clarke (Director, Mtech Access) to explore all this and more in our live webinar on Friday 17th September. This episode explored specific examples of how the Welsh Healthcare System is pushing itself to better care for the people it serves and where the obstacles to delivering change lie.
In our September #WhispersWordsofWisdom webinar, Tom Clarke was joined by Dr Phil Webb to explore how NHS healthcare systems are looking differently at their population and how they deliver care. Re-imagining the hospital, investing in novel technologies, and developing system resilience to improve healthcare outcomes were all discussed.
Phil also shared specific examples of change in the Welsh Healthcare System. As Chief Executive of Respiratory Innovation Wales, Phil has a remit for re-imagining care for people across Wales. He previously held roles within the Welsh Healthcare System responsible for Innovation and Service Development, and has commissioned services at national and local levels. Also having worked in Industry, Phil’s academic background includes health economics, epidemiology, statistics, and a doctorate in molecular biology.
As such, we were interested to hear Phil’s perspective on everything from driving innovation in the NHS to the obstacles facing NHS systems, and how Pharma and Medtech can best help. This webinar is a must-see for anyone with an interest in how care systems are evolving further and faster than we could imagine, not just in Wales and respiratory care, but across all clinical and geographic areas.
We were delighted to welcome Phil to the Whispers’ Words of Wisdom webinar series.
This webinar forms part of our monthly Whispers’ Words of Wisdom series, in which we have in-depth, comprehensive conversations with senior colleagues from the NHS. We explore what their immediate priorities are, what they see as the greatest challenges currently faced by the NHS, and how the NHS might respond to these challenges.
Our previous webinars are available on demand:
- August 2021: ‘Innovations to address health inequalities in the NHS and how Pharma and Medtech can help’ with guest speaker Jon Siddall (Chief Executive of South West AHSN)
- June 2021: ‘The hidden heroes of the NHS – The role of Ambulance Trusts in keeping patients and systems moving’ with guest speaker Helen Ray (Chief Executive of North East Ambulance Service NHS Foundation Trust)
- May 2021: ‘Population to Person – how will the voice of the individual drive health & care development?’ with guest speaker Steph Edusei (Chief Executive of St Oswald’s Hospice)
- April 2021: ‘Know your Place – where will power really sit in the new NHS?’ with guest speaker Dr Steven Michael OBE (Chair of East Cheshire Partnership)
- March 2021: ‘Pharmacy, Medicines, and Specialised Commissioning in the new NHS’ with guest speaker Professor Inderjit Singh (Chief Pharmacist at University Hospitals Birmingham)
- February 2021: ‘The White Paper and integrated care in the NHS: What it really means in practice for clinicians, patients and us’ with guest speaker Dr John Ribchester (GP and Clinical Director at Whitstable Primary Care Network)
- January 2021: ‘Heads at the heart of the NHS: How mental health is central to everything in the new NHS’ with guest speaker Brent Kilmurray (Chief Executive of Tees, Esk and Wear Valleys NHS Foundation Trust)
- December 2020: ‘Pharmacy and Medicines in the Integrated Care Systems (ICS) of the new NHS’ with guest speaker Laura Angus (Interim Lead Pharmacist, Humber Coast and Vale ICS)
- November 2020: ‘Is prevention better than the cure? How can the NHS and public health work closer to improve population health?’ with guest speaker Dr Peter Brambleby (Independent Public Health Consultant)
- October 2020: ‘Understanding the tipping point: when elective becomes selective in NHS surgery’ with guest speaker Simon Parsons (Divisional Director of Surgery at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust)
- September 2020: ‘Leading within an evolving, integrating system: Insights from an NHS leader’ with guest speaker: Deborah Lee (CEO of Gloucestershire Hospitals NHS Trust)
- August 2020: ‘ICS: Separating Fact from Myth: Insights from a System Leader’ with guest speaker: Dr Claire Fuller (Senior Responsible Officer at Surrey Heartlands Health and Care Partnership)
- July 2020: ‘The Evolving NHS: Lessons for Pharma and Medtech’ a discussion between Tom Clarke and David Thorne (Directors, Mtech Access)