What does NHS primary care need from industry?
In our October NHS Whispers webinar, Dr Farzana Hussain (GP Principal, The Project Surgery) and Prof. Phil Richardson (Chair and Chief Innovation Officer, Mtech Access) explored the unmet needs of Primary Care Networks (PCNs) and how industry can best support primary care leaders and GPs as we head into winter, 2024 and beyond.
In this NHS Whispers webinar, Dr Farzana Hussain, former ‘GP of the year’ and strategic influencer over primary care policy, discusses the unmet needs in primary care, how primary care leaders are responding to these challenges, and where industry can best offer support.
Phil and Farzana discuss:
- How unmet needs are identified in primary care, the processes followed, and datasets used to inform decision making
- The specific challenges facing primary care as we head into winter
- The role of PCN leaders and their impact on national policy
- How industry can best support and collaborate with PCNs
- Ongoing lessons from the pandemic and the vaccine roll-out
Listen to the podcast:
This episode is also available as a podcast. Listen below or search ‘Pharma Market Access Insights – from Mtech Access’ on Spotify, Apple Podcasts or Google Podcasts.
About our speaker
Dr Farzana Hussain (GP Principal, The Project Surgery)
Farzana is a highly accomplished clinical leader with more than 20 years’ experience as a practicing GP Principal and GP Appraiser. She has held a variety of local and national roles across the NHS.
In 2020–21, Farzana co-created and chaired the National PCN Network within the NHS Confederation, attaining significant influence over national policy during this time. She also served as a Clinical Director for a PCN from their inception, for 3 years.
Farzana has achieved national recognition for her innovative work in relation to improving immunisation during the Covid-19 pandemic, appearing on local and national media. She was also recognised as the ‘GP of the Year’ in 2019 by the General Practice Awards and voted an outstanding BAME leader in the HSJ Wildcard list for 2021.
She has significant experience of managing transformational change using quality improvement methodology and a background of educational facilitation and coaching.
This webinar forms part of our monthly NHS Whispers series, in which we have in-depth, comprehensive conversations with senior colleagues from the NHS. We explore what their immediate priorities are, what they see as the greatest challenges currently faced by the NHS, and how the NHS might respond to these challenges.
Recent webinars in the NHS Whispers series, now available on-demand:
- September 2023: ‘Population health management: a community effort across health and life sciences’ with guest speaker, Dr Mark Davies, Global Chief Health Officer, IBM
- June 2023: ‘The role of nursing in driving digital change in the NHS’ with Jennie Smith, registered nurse, Medtech launch specialist and Director of NHS Insight & Interaction at Mtech Access
- April 2023: ‘Primary Care and ICBs – what is the next step in the integration journey?’ with guest speaker, Tim Goodson, Executive Officer, Dorset General Practice Alliance
- March 2023: ‘Data-led transformation in the NHS – partnering to optimise patient care’ with guest speaker, Stephen Slough, Chief Digital Information Officer, NHS Dorset
- February 2023: ‘Innovating for better health – research, collaboration and innovation in the NHS’ with guest speaker, Bill Gillespie, Chief Executive Officer, Wessex AHSN